Touraine > Touraine
A large and varied region, Touraine produces wines in every color – white, rosé and red – from an expansive palette of grape varieties.
Location: This appellation stretches from Anjou to the west to the Sologne region in the east. Touraine is in an area where the Loire and its tributaries meet, covering 104 communes in Indre-et-Loire and 42 in Loir-et-Cher. Most of the vineyards are located southeast of Tours, on the slopes that dominate the Cher, and between the Cher and the Loire.
- 5,500 hectares / 13,590 acres
Soil: The soil in Touraine is highly varied, with flinty clays, clay limestone on a chalk bed, and sand on flint to the east, as well as gravel stones and sand.
Climate: An oceanic climate dominates in the west, becoming more continental as you move east. These climatic differences, combined with varied soils, determine the choice of grape variety planted (with later-ripening varieties in the west and earlier-ripening ones in the east) and therefore, the wide variety of wines produced.
- White: Approximately 105,000 hl / 2,773,807 gallons
- Red: Approximately 88,000 hl / 2,324,714 gallons
- Rosé: Approximately 19,000 hl / 501,927 gallons
- Sparkling: Approximately 27,000 hl / 713,264 gallons
- 60 hl/ha red and rosé
- 65 hl/ha white and sparkling
- White: Sauvignon Blanc (nearly 80%), Chenin Blanc, some Chardonnay
- Red and Rosé: Gamay (more than 60% of harvest), Cabernet Franc, Malbec (aka Côt), Cabernet Sauvignon, Pineaus d’Aunis, Pinot Noir
Growing/Production Practices: Density 5,000 vines/hectare and single or double Guyot pruning.
- Appearance: Bright, pale straw yellow
- Nose: Intense aromas of honeysuckle and tropical fruits with some herbaceous notes
- Flavors: Refreshing and dry with fresh fruit and mineral notes and its hallmark crisp acidity
- Appearance: Garnet or ruby red
- Nose: Notes of plum, cherry and red fruit
- Flavors: Light to medium bodied with fresh fruit flavors, refreshing acidity and low tannins.
- Appearance: Pale, bright yellow
- Nose: Delicate aromas of brioche, green apple and honey
- Flavors: Fine bubbles with persistent, fruit flavors while dry and refreshing
- Appearance: Pale salmon pink
- Nose: Strawberry, herbaceous notes
- Flavors: Fresh and fruity with lively acidity and sometimes a spicy note.
- Red and Rosé: Saag paneer, lamb kebabs, roasted pepper bruschetta
- White: Crab cakes, Gujarati cucumber and peanut salad, omelet with spicy tomato stuffing
- Sparkling : Goat cheese tartlets, fresh oysters or clams, sashimi